Wednesday, June 13, 2007

How Not to Use MySpace in the Classroom | PBS

PBS Teachers | learning.now . How Not to Use MySpace in the Classroom | PBS

This is the story of a very unfortunate (and somewhat ignorant) teacher in Maryland. While many folks keep personal blogs (MySpace, Facebook, Blogger, or elsewhere), they have to understand that these are largely public entities. Even private sites are only a copy and paste away from a jaded friend releasing your thoughts to the world.

My father is the Don of my family, but none others that of know of. However, he had good wise guy advice for me years ago. Don't record it unless you want the world to see it. This has served me well over the years, particularly when you consider the amount of digital communications I've dealt with.

Remember that for this class and beyond. If you are going to do something that you don't want traced back to you, use a pseudonym. I use danielcraig for just about all of my public accounts and I also have some anonymous accounts for when I want to vent or otherwise put myself out there in a compromising position.

Dan

2 comments:

Michele McNickle said...

This is a great reminder for teachers. After all, we are role models for our students in and out of class. We need to be extremely cautious about what and where we post.

Dan said...

The more we put ourselves out there for the world to see, the more we have to think about what we are putting out there.

I'm as out there as anyone, with my blogs, photos, websites, and the simple fact that I use my real name as a username just about everywhere. This just makes me extra cautious about what I'm saying.

Dan

Post a Comment